144 imagesThis gallery contains historic images of the 38 Geary line from the SFMTA Photo Archive collections. The 38 Geary and its ancestor routes are the SF Municipal Railway's oldest lines. The streetcar line "A Geary Park" opened on December 28, 1912, the first publicly-owned transit route in San Francisco. Muni also operated the "B Geary Ocean" streetcar line on Geary starting in 1912, and added the "C Geary California" in 1915. On December 29, 1956, the Geary streetcars were replaced by motor coaches (buses) of the 38 Geary line. The 38 Geary buses followed the same route as the streetcars, which is very similar to the line's route today: outbound started on Market at the Ferry Building, turning to Geary at Kearny. The "A" streetcar turned onto Fulton at 10th Avenue, but the "B" and "C" lines continued on Geary to the outer Avenues, with the "C" turning out to California via 2nd Avenue .* This gallery also contains images of Muni's Geary Car House (now called Presidio Division). This facility is Muni's oldest car house and office, opened in 1912 at Geary Boulevard and Presidio Avenue. The location still houses Muni buses and equipment today. *Note that a full description of all of Muni's lines can be found in the book "Inside Muni" by John McKane and Anthony Perles.